Welcome to Birmingham University UNISON
To find out more about joining the branch - click here
Latest Branch News
Pay ballot results
Here is the result of how you voted in your UNISON Branch ballot on the University pay offer (ballot closed on Friday 25th July):
- 86% voted to note the pay offer;
- 13% voted to reject the pay offer;
- 1% of ballot papers were spoilt.
The pay offer was:
- Band 100 = a 20 pence an hour rise to £7.85 an hour, which is 2.65%
- Band 200-500 = 2.4% to 1% pay rise, depending on Band & spinal point on the pay spine.
The University will implement the pay rise from 1st August 2015. For those paid monthly it will be in this month's pay.
The campaigning of UNISON and other University support staff trade unions resulted in a final pay offer which was higher than the original offer made by the University. This improved offer was welcomed by Birmingham University UNISON but we remain disappointed that it does not truly reflect the hard work of University Support Staff, however we know it would have been significantly worse if it was not for the action we all took together in 2014.
In the autumn we will launch a pay campaign jointly with other campus trade unions, in addition to the ongoing campaign for the Living Wage, to promote a future pay deal which truly reflects the hard work, commitment and professionalism of support staff.
Having secured the equivalent of Living Wage for over 350 low paid staff in August 2014, the campus trade unions led by UNISON, are now negotiating with the University and we are seeking an a permanent committment by the University to:
- Pay the Living Wage at the rate inpendently agreed in November by the Living Wage Trust
- Become an accredited Living Wage employer